Monday, May 23, 2011

Dumpster Diving for the first time

Yep, you read correctly.  And want to know what?  It was fun, fun, FUN! 

Got lots of what I was looking for and got it for FREE! 

This may just become my latest obsession - easily.

But before you get too grossed out, let me report that I was not diving for food.  Also, while I use the term "dumpster diving" I did not actually enter any dumpsters.  In fact, I didn't even have to touch any part of the dumpster receptacle because the stuff inside was piled to the rim and I could just skim whatever my heart desired from off the top.  Easy peasy.

So what was I scavenging for?  Why, coupons, of course! 

See, in this rural community in which I now live, there is no free community paper filled with coupons (as was the case in my old Tucson neighborhood); nor is there even a Sunday paper with coupons.  I do have a subscription to the twice weekly local paper (Tues/Fri).  HA! Yeah, I laughed (okay, cried) when I discovered this.  Also disappointing is that this paper only includes the P&G (Procter and Gamble) and Red Plum inserts.  And as any active Couponer knows, the Smart Source insert is where it's at.  Plus, it is vital to have multiples of each insert, especially when trying to take advantage of Catalina coupons which give a bigger payback for multiple purchases of each item.  Yeah, yeah, I'm getting too technical here. 

BOTTOM LINE: I need more coupon inserts and I'm not willing/able to pay for them.  It feels counterproductive to pay for them. 

True, I could ask friends/neighbors for their inserts (which I may do later), but why inconvenience others when I now know how to get 'em myself?  So, yes, DUMPSTER DIVING it is!  Woo hoo! 


Didn't have a camera during the actual escapade, but here's the stash collected in 20 minutes or less

And just so you aren't still too grossed out, I'll have to take a picture of the "dumpster" and show you that it's actually more of a wooden recycling shed (sounds nice, right?) that only takes newspapers and aluminum cans, most of which are bagged by the good citizens who recycle.  It doesn't smell and isn't sticky or dirty (well, maybe I just didn't notice because of the adrenaline rush that resulted from the sight of all those lonely coupons looking for a good home). 

Either way, today's first will certainly not be the last. 

Certainly an activity not for the faint of heart.  But if you're ever feeling adventurous (or too cheap to buy coupons, like me) give it a try!  You won't be disappointed!

ps. If you're interested in seeing my inspiration for this post visit the Krazy Coupon Lady here.

No comments:

Post a Comment